Negotiations Begin with April 10th Opening Session
Alcoa and United Steelworkers (USW) representatives met in Pittsburgh April 10, 2014 for the Master Agreement negotiations opening session. Three meetings were held:
- Opening remarks led by Bob Wilt (Alcoa), and Tom Conway (USW)
- A benefits table discussion
- A contract language table discussion
Bob Wilt, President of Global Primary Products, and Chairman of the Employee Relations Council described the competitive environment in which Alcoa businesses are operating in today. He stressed that while we are a company with great opportunity, we are also a company in an industry that faces significant challenges. These include:
- Curtailment of smelters due to challenging global market conditions in primary aluminum that includes 4-year lows in aluminum prices and increased costs;
- Continued domestic and global competition in the markets we compete; and
- Our rising labor costs, including not just wages but also increased costs for health care, retirement and other benefit programs.
“I believe we all have the same objective in mind – to reach an agreement that is fair to our employees and positions our business for future success. Alcoa and the United Steelworkers have a proud history of working together, resolving problems and finding common ground, and I am confident that we will be successful in doing so again.”
Read the full story
Sign up to receive email and mobile updates.
Sign up for Alcoa Negotiations mobile updates.
To subscribe: Text keyword Advance to shortcode 37607
To unsubscribe: Text keyword Stop to shortcode 37607
For help: Text keyword Help to shortcode 37607
Although Alcoa does not charge for text message alerts, message & data rates may apply from your mobile phone company.